Friday, August 8, 2008

Sometimes my best plans just don't work out. We got across the border just fine on Sunday, Aug. 3rd. I had to go the the broker to get what is called an MCap. It's a certificate from "meat inspection" that allows the load into Canada. Most of the time, it's a "skip", meaning that no further inspection is required. This time, that was not the case. Several items on the load were checked "reinspect", which means it has to go to a bonded warehouse and be inspected by a Canadian Government Meat Inspector.

Because the place I was delivering to was just such a warehouse, I didn't see any problem. I stopped in Mississauga, ON and fueled so that we'd be ready to go as soon as the above was taken care of, went up to Brampton that night, and parked in a dock so they would have to take us first thing in the morning.

But I forgot one very important thing. Monday, August 4, was a holiday in Canada - no government meat inspectors today. And the receiver said he probably wouldn't be able to take it on Tues either, because there were a lot of trucks coming in because of the holiday.

So much for New Brunswick. I dropped the load in our Mississauga yard and was assigned a load for Calgary. It just doesn't look like I'll ever see the Maritime Provinces. The same thing happened years ago when I had a load for Nova Scotia, and it got pulled because I was supposed to be going home for time off.

Sandy took this picture from the Bluewater Bridge between Port Huron, MI and Sarnia, ON. Yesterday, (Thurs) I heard on the news that it was closed because of a bomb threat and traffic was backed up for miles both ways.

It was backed up for miles on the Canadian side on Sunday. (US people returning home from a weekend in Canada) The US side was OK because Canadians had the extra day to play.







The vastness of the Prairies taken east of Calgary and not a tree in site.

No comments: